Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:22:51 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's in a name? (was: The Merger,and what will its effects be on  committers?)

Jay Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Yes, FreeBSD is still Unix as far as we're all concerned but can we call
> >it Unix, no because a previous project structure owns the trademark
> >(passed around a lot I know). The analogy holds very true, while anybody
> >can take the code and setup another project they cannot take FreeBSD
> >somewhere else, just as we couldn't take Unix somewhere else.
>
> So what's the big problem with the name? If there is an AIX, we could
> be called CIX, or, if we really wanted to get nasty, DIX (BIX is
> already taken -- we could even call it Lunix, since Solaris is taken;)
> but it would be the same code and a number of the same people. It
> seems a little selfish to want to depend on a name that someone else
> has gone to the effort to build to recognition.

I think this has just about wandered completely off the point now.

What I pointed out originally was that I thought it was silly to claim
that if the foundation insisted on keeping the name, the rest of us were
still free to go off and develop *FreeBSD* because we aren't. We'd be
free to go off and develop some other project that produced an OS that
was exactly like FreeBSD but we would not be the FreeBSD project, we
would be the YetAnotherBSD project and pretty soon we'd diverge from
FreeBSD, otherwise why would we have wanted to set up on our own in the
first place?

This isn't really what the original discussion centred around anyway, we
started of debating whether comapany X was allowed to call their
distribution FreeBSD if their distribution in any way diverged from the
official release and what actually constituted the official release.

Paul.