Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:48:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nate@MNSi.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diskless Booting

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD,
>
>         I have recently begun to look into diskless booting with FreeBSD.
> I've already configured the tfpt, and the bootps servers, through inetd. The
> problem, (I beleive), lies in the EEPROM's on the network cards. The current
> cards have Novell Netware boot roms, and are currently booting from a Novell
> Network. Is there any way to make the FreeBSD server mimick the Novell, so
> as not to need to change the eeproms. The machines are owned by the school,
> and thus cannot be modified, as the Novell Network is still the only system
> the schoolboard wishes to use.

It depends if the server's name is encoded into the bootrom.  I assume it
uses bootp to get the correct information, but you ever know.

You need to check that your bootp server is respondig to requests
properly.  Considering that bootp isn't supposed to run from inted I can
understand why it's not working ;)