Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:26:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        Ogre@lowmips.com, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Finding package dependancies - Where are they?

I'm not really sure if it matters or not, but using ftp.freebsd.org
might make a difference. Not sure if NetBSD uses the same ports-tree as
FreeBSD does.

Cheers,

Jorn
> Hi,
> I've installing several packages (using pkg_add) lately, and tried
many more.  I generally use the pkg_add ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/(...)
method, with decent success.  My problem is that I cannot always find
the packages I need! For example, while installing a package listed
under ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6/sparc/All/, I've found that
a package dependancy was in
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.3/sparc/All/!?  In another case,
I could not find the dependancy in ANY of the distributions!

> Am I just blind? What am I missing here? What is a good way to find
where my dependancies reside, without having to search through every
distro's package list? What is the logic behind the layout? I'm assuming
that the packages listed for each distro just happened to be updated, or
ported, during that distro's upcoming?