Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:06:56 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

On Jul 27, 2014 10:53 PM, "Baptiste Daroussin" <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 10:42:17PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:29:04 -0700, Jos Backus writes:
> > >It's a little sad to see that the more human-friendly and expressive
YAML
> > >format appears to not be supported. Instead, here too we are stuck with
> >
> > Is there a use case for something like vmstat outputting YAML?
> > It is a simple format, I guess it could be added, especially if it has
> > no format quirks worse that HTML and JSON.
> > Note: I'm just speculating.
>
> YAML is all but a simple format, creating a subset of YAML that is good
enough
> is a simple format :), exporting a complete YAML (strongly typed etc) is
> something else.

The full power/expressiveness of YAML may not be needed, we may just want
the right subset. And there may be cases where the extra expressiveness is
useful as more utilities are converted.

> As machine readable format YAML is a nightmare to parse, JSON is very
simpler
> and easier (while json being a valid subject of YAML).

Well, the work has been done already (libyaml), so barring any bugs and
maintenance it's not an issue, no?

It would be great if libyaml and libucl would converge, but instead it's
likely that the number of solutions trying to solve the same problem will
continue to proliferate, and we are stuck with more and more configuration
file formats :-(

Jos