Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:36:40 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Greg Prosser <greg@straynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping sync.. automatically.

Greg Prosser wrote:

> I currently have 3 active FreeBSD machines on my network, and am looking
> for a method of automatically keeping my ports (and/or src) collections
> up-to-date. cron'ing a cvsup is definitely a possibility, but I'm
> wqondering if there are more graceful options available. Is there a way I
> could perhaps set up cvsupd to mirror one of the FreeBSD mirror sites on a
> regular basis, thus creating my own up-to-date collection?
>
> I'm looking for ways to keep the outside network traffic down, and
> cron'ing cvsup on three machines would definitely cause issues. Can I
> perhaps modify some of make.conf and set build directories to /tmp or
> something along those lines, then mirror /usr/ports across my machines
> (perhaps via nfs?). What are my options? Anyone want to beat me with a
> large stick?

Set a cron job for one machine to cvsup regularly, and mount ports
directory to the other machines via NFS. If you don't want to run NFS,
just set up a cvs server on one machine, have it cvsup regularly from
one of the mirror servers (using cron) and then have the other machines
cvsup from it. Although the NFS solution will reduce network traffic
internally.

-Bill