Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 07:30:18 -0400
From:      "Larry W. Cashdollar" <lwcashd@biw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using a Cable modem under FreeBSD?

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 09:00:36PM -0700, Doug wrote:
> Chris Singer wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows how to setup FreeBSD to use a cable modem?
>
> 	Take a look at http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Doug

I just setup FreeBSD 3.2 this weekend on a RoadRunner cable modem, everything went well.  I was rather impressed with the speed (I run RH 5.2 on another box) and found everything to go smoothly after I realized the kernel source I had was incorrect for my distribution.  I suggest you install the kernel source src/ssys* because you will need to compile (BPF Berkely Packet Filter) into your kernel.  Once that is done reboot and start the dhcp client (dhclient).  For roadrunner I had to compile the rrlogin.c program which went with out a hitch.

-- Larry