Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:42:05 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        gary.jennejohn@freenet.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: data corruption with ahc driver and 4GB of memory using a FBSD-8 64-bit installation?

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:51:34 -0700
> Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:
>
>> Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>>> I think $(subject) says it all.
>>>
>>> I have a Gigabyte AM2 mobo with an AMD64 X2 CPU installed.
>>>
>>> The SCIS set up looks lie this:
>>>
>>> 29160N <--> da0 <--> da1
>>>
>>> da0 has a 32-bit installation of FBSD-8
>>> da1 has a 64-bit installtion of FBSD-8
>>>
>>> If I install 4GB of memory (4 DIMMs) in the system I see the following
>>> behavior:
>>>
>>> a) booting from da0 works just fine and I can access both disks without
>>> any problem.
>>>
>>> b) booting from da1 results in (apparent) data errors such that /bin/sh
>>> dies with SIGILL and /rescue/sh dies with SIGSEGV.
>>>
>>> c) trying to do an installation of a snapshot of FBSD-8 to a SCSI disk
>>> results in various problems, among others a kernel panic in ffs_balloc
>>> during newfs.
>>>
>>> d) an installation to a SATA disk succeeds and the system runs just
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> With only 3GB of memory everything works. Of course, I'd really like to
>>> be able to use the entire 4GB. And I want to keep my SCSI disks.
>>>
>>> I suspect that ahc has some sort of problem in 64-bit mode. However,
>>> I'm not certain whether the 32-bit installation works with 4GB simply
>>> because the ahc driver uses bounce buffers.
>>>
>>> Has anybody else seen this? Can anyone confirm that ahc does indeed
>>> have an error with 4GB and a 64-bit installation?
>>>
>>> BTW please put me in the Cc because I'm not subscribed to this ML.
>>>
>> The ahc driver should work with >4GB, and in fact that was a standard
>> part of the test suite back when it was still in active development.  If
>> it doesn't work now then it's due to some sort of bitrot.  I can try to
>> test and debug it myself, but I'm pretty overcommitted so I can't
>> guarantee that I'll get to it.  If others would like to help test and
>> debug, I'm happy to answer questions and provide assistance.
>>

> Well, the thing which I find confusing is that the 32-bit installation
> works without any problems.  I would expect the 64-bit installation to
> work with 4GB, if anything does.
>
> Does the 32-bit version use bounce buffers?
>
> I'll try poking around some, but the 64-bit install is my (money earning)
> work station and I can't afford to trash it, so I'm sort of unwilling to
> risk it.  And I don't have any spare SCSI disks to use for testing.  Well,
> I suppose I could sacrifice the 32-bit disk.  It's not so important.
>
> Any hints on where to start looking?

Even with only 4GB of physical RAM, the motherboard will remap part of
that RAM to be above the 4GB barrier.  So running in 64-bit mode with
only 4GB of RAM will still exercise the >4GB bugs.  Let me think on
where to point you for debugging...  The ahc cards don't normally use
bounce buffers; they are designed to handle up to 2^39 bytes of RAM
directly.

Scott