Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:58:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@cslab.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Zip/CD and Stable/Current

I just received a brand new gateway PC that I need to install FreeBSD on.
This PC has an SM9432TX card in it, so I was trying to install stable
and current from 2/8/98 and both lock up the machine right before sysinstall
comes up (it even displays the message that it is starting sysinstall).

The PC itself is a Gateway model 3110 which is a Pentium II 233 machine
with both a zip and a CDrom drive on the secondary IDE channel.  If I
disable the secondary IDE channel, then it will boot.  2.2.5 boots fine, but
tries to put the zip drive on the CD driver and the end result is both
the zip and the cdrom drive are inaccessible.

It appears that something has changed in the IDE stuff that could be
responsible for this lockup.  Has anyone else seen this??

Thanks.