Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:29:32 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is a re-boot req'd after changing 'resolv.conf' ?

--------------enig7C089FD91AB82D8C2473B703

V.I.Victor wrote:
> I'm simply going to change 2 "nameserver" ip-addresses.
>=20
> Most of what I've found re. 'resolv.conf' implies it can just be change=
d on-the-fly.  However, other sources (mostly upgrading info) have a rebo=
ot involved.
>=20
> So -- re-boot or not? (Note: this is a static-ip box running v5.4.)

Some applications only read resolv.conf once and keep the information,
so you need to restart those. Most others deal with it in the standard
way so no reboot is needed. The OS itself (and its standard utilities)
don't need a reboot.