Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:37:04 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Roger Rabbit" <ros@intrafish.no>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp wrappers

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:23:41 +0200, "Roger Rabbit" wrote:

> But I can't see tcpd anywhere, only tcpdcheck and so on. Why is this ?

If you look at the inetd manpage, you'll see that it supports builtin
wrapping. You don't need tcpd.

> What if I want to set up different access rules based on the protocol in =
> use, not the program ?

That's a limitation of hosts.allow. Short of creating a copy of the
daemon binary with a new name, you can't do what you want to with inetd
and TCP Wrappers.

For information on why you don't have an ld.so for your old AOUT
tcpserver program, see the 3.2RELEASE notes:

	http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.2R/errata.html

If you have further questions on configuration issues, please continue
this thread in freebsd-questions, not on the security list.

Thanks,
Sheldon.