Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:33:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      patrick@whetstonelogic.com
To:        duffner@fh-konstanz.de, shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE(s) for Java

On  7 Dec, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The IDE Netbeans sell or sold, before being bought-up by SUN works, too.
> (only the "Developer 2.1.2"-Version - later ones require JDK2)
> One needs: - the JDK
>            - tya
> 	   - edit the start-up wrapper to -mx128 (or it will hang on startup)
>
> It takes-up loads of memory.
> The process has >160M on my machine.

Ok.  I have downloaded and tested the Developer 2.1.2 NetBeans.

I needed the JDK only (It comes with Swing already "swingall.jar", if
anyone is interested).  It will run without TYA.  However, I have shuJIT
installed as well as TYA, and tested it with both.

Here are my results.

No JIT:  installs and runs fine with no changes to the wrapper
TYA 1.5: installs and runs fine with no changes to the wrapper
         but it is slower to start (may seem to hang)
shuJIT 0.3.13: installs but dies with the following error:
An error occured during IDE initialization:
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: FinalAccessed

(I'll send the full dump to anyone who wants it).

When I bump up the memory to 128 (-mx128m), shuJIT hangs.

Patrick Gardella
JDK Port Team