Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:27:07 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QIC-80 Floppy Tapes

At 08:59 AM 6/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Do yourself a favor and dump this floppy tape device.  It won't work worth
>a damn on any unix.  Any cheap, supported, (even PIO types) scsi controller
>plus an old QIC 150 drive (available for <$100 on the surplus market) will
>set up a system where you will actually do backups.  If you stay with the
>floppy tape, things will be so painful you will fall far behind on your
>backups.  The controller that comes with scsi zip drives comes to mind (if
>you don't mind mounting the QIC 150 internally).

To say nothing of the fact that I found those floppy based qic-80 tapes to
be about as reliable as a floppy disk with a magnet sitting on it.  After
spending hours to back up moderate sized hard drives, it's pretty
depressing when you discover that the tape that you did the backups on
won't restore.  Unfortunately most of those drives are too light to use as
bookends.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu