Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:52:20 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        George Katsanos <gkatsanos@gmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE Konqueror:Can i have konqueror without KDEstuff port

On Wednesday, 9. November 2005 09:50, George Katsanos wrote:
> KDE is a huge package , and if you're trying to portupgrade to p3 550
> that's a hard thing to do.3 days now! :-(
> I just want konqueror , is there any way [or do you know the exact port]
> that will save me from installing kde base , kde , kdelibs and zillions of
> kde stuff [which I hate] at my computer?

For konqueror, all you need is x11/kdebase3 (and its respective dependencies).

For extra features, you might also want misc/konq-plugins (will install as
kdeaddons-konq-plugins), for some embedded media support you might want to
install multimedia/kmplayer and for an embedded image viewer with an
autozooming feature, you might want to install graphics/gwenview.

If you're not sure what you can safely delete (or want to make sure you don't
miss anything you can delete), do pkg_deinstall -rf arts\* and afterwards
portinstall kdebase.

Once you're done with that, you can reduce the number of installed ports
further by installing sysutils/pkg_cutleaves and use that to find ports which
aren't in use by any other ports and delete them if you wish.

> Also , when I start konqueror 'kdeinit' is run also ! 3 instances of it.any
> way of avoiding that?

Kdeinit just wraps around the kioslave processes that Konqueror uses to do the
actual input/output of data (kio_http, kio_ftp, kio_file, etc). You can turn
the kdeinit wrapper off by setting KDE_FORK_SLAVES=1 in your environment
(note that this option has known issues, like
https://bugs.kde.org/votes.cgi?action=show_bug&bug_id=88557 - I think however
that none of them should affect you if all you run is konqueror).

Cheers,
--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org