Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:30:50 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Hisako Majima' <majima@acsu.buffalo.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: MAX GID number

Hisako,
hehehe, sorry for laughing.  I'm a little amused.  My friend asked me the
same question a couple days ago.  (I used to go to UB, and he's probably in
your class).

The only reference I could find was in <sys/types.h> which defines t_gid as
a 32bit unsigned integer.  (Which imples over 4 billion gid and uid's,
2^32).  Minus 1 of course since uid's and gid's start with 0 and not 1.
(2^0 = 1)

====> To the rest of the list:

I would actually like to know the exact answer to this question myself.
Does someone else on the list know if there is another limiting factor?

I did search the mailing list archives and didn't find much.  I did find a
few messages about UID and that prodded me to look in the sources to find
what I was actually able to find.

Thanks,
Chris