Date:      19 May 1999 16:14:08 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, voland@plab.ku.dk
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor PPB/RGB Rev.C troubles

Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu> writes:

> I believe the Linux version was a port of the FreeBSD version. I
> recently read an article that researchers in Europe used the Linux
> version as part of a automatic guiding system (ie, the car totally
> drove itself).

Wow!  Our application is much more modest...  :-)

> Have you increased the number of DMA pages (METEOR_ALLOC_PAGES) when
> you are using RGB24? the default of 217 pages which is not enough
> space for even 640x480 (*3 bytes per).

Yes, sure.  I use 440, because (768*576*4+4095)/4096 is 433; I
calculated 4 bytes per pixel, just to be on the safe side.  The funny
thing is that this is enough under FreeBSD, but under Linux SETGEO
fails with that many pages reserved in bigphysmem.  1000 is enough,
and I did not bother to find the lowest acceptable value.

> You may want to request a new Desktop video Data Handbook IC manual.

Thanks, I'll try that.

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen