Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 00:39:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, I've been SCOed!

> I hope you found these comments useful and relevant.  Overall, I'd say
> FreeBSD has done as good (and often better) job than many commercial UNIX
> vendors have done, as my experience today proved!  BTW, now I know that if
> I had spent $10 on "Free SCO", it would've been wasted money.  Rather to
> find that out with someone else paying me, than vice versa! :-) Now, when
> Free UnixWare comes out, that I might think about buying.  Comments?

(After this, it would be a good idea to move this to chat?)

Right now, I have 3 OSes on my system (actually 2.5, if you count Win95
correctly.)  FreeBSD, WinNT, and Win95.  I plan to set up a FreeBSD
only system for my router, and of course on my main machine run FreeBSD
normally.  I will probably plan to setup Linux on my machine permanently
also (I run it once in a while.)  I have absolutely no reason to run
SCO.  Frankly, I like WinNT with the Cygnus/GNU tools much better than SCO,
even though WinNT 4.0 is very very very dog slow!!!

1) I agree that the install is painfully slow (taking 1hr of frobbing
with the CDROM.)
2) You have to forage around for an NCR driver on Symbios' web site.  It
   appears that it is a common need for the end-customer to "hunt" around
   for drivers.
3) SCO is symlink hell.
4) SCO is license manager city.
5) Even typing in the serial numbers, etc is hard.  Those are not
   easy things to type.  Even Microsoft knows this (with their
   CD-KEY stuff.)  I don't know why SCO is worried about piracy,
   because any competent big company with assets to loose is going to
   account for licenses at least approximately correctly.  Additionally,
   small, single user situations can actually increase their commercial
   business, by increasing advocacy.
6) SCO isn't that awfully slow, with async metadata updates -- but
   if I needed that, I'd be better off (and faster) running Linux or
   FreeBSD with the async option...
7) From a hacker standpoint, SCO is boring (IMO.)

Looking at the above, and knowing how SVR3 was before SCO got ahold
of it, and after.  I sure hope that they didn't (actually, in a way
I hope that they did :-)) do the same thing to SVR4 with Unixware.

John