Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 06:54:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Trent Nelson <tpnelson@echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vinum/SoftUpdates query.

On Thursday, 30 September 1999 at  9:03:03 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> We're currently seeing some problems with soft updates in connection
>> with RAID-5, but that's not of any great relevance to your system,
>> since you need at least 3 disks for RAID-5.
>
> What kind of problem,

From http://www.lemis.com/vinum/bugs.html:

28 September 1999: We've seen some strange panics when using Vinum
	           RAID-5. The symptoms are:

     fault virtual address   = 0x0
     fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
     instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x0

     Note particularly the instruction pointer value. This happens
     during normal file access. In all cases I have investigated, the
     system was using soft updates. I have one report of a similar
     panic without soft updates, but it hasn't been substantiated.

     This problem doesn't happen everywhere, but where it does, it's
     quite reliable. If you're planning to use this constellation, be
     sure to test carefully.

     Technical explanation: A buffer header gets corrupted between the
     time the top half of the driver issues the request to the disk
     driver, and when the I/O completes. Currently, the evidence is
     pointing towards the disk driver, but the corruption is of such
     an unusual nature that it's difficult to guess what's going on.

     so I don't have a fix.

Note that there's no mention of soft updates here.  Since the initial
report, all of which included soft updates, I've had one report of
what seems to be the same thing on a volume without soft updates.

> and has anyone told Kirk?

Yes, I sent him a message about a week ago.  So far no reply.

Greg