Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:39:37 +1000
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hast degraded

On 4/10/13 11:07am, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> ssd2	degraded primary        /dev/da2	10.8.8.1

OK, I think I understand better what I'm looking at now. Degraded just means that the secondary is not running. The primary is actually mounting just fine, however all the metadata in the zpool is now corrupted so I cannot recover with

  zpool import -F

This corruption is on both the master and slave, so I think I'm completely screwed at this point.

My best guess is that the hast master became slave, but didn't properly export the zpool. The slave became the master and tried to write data into the pool in the other direction until the whole thing became hopelessly messed up.

I can see the power of hast, but also that it requires way more attention to the details of failover than my simplistic approach gave it. There is at least one failure mode which increases the chance of corrupting the whole filesystem on both master and slave, as compared to a more simplistic rsync periodic sychronisation.

Not so cheery,

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis