Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:56:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Troy Smith <tdsmith@topeka.cjnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   web (and distribution!) update needed

Sorry to have to tell you this, but the Feds have changed the export
rules again Re: encryption.  Basically, nobody in the US can export jack
unless they provide a back door for the feds.  You probably are already
aware of this, but this passage from the web page indicates not:
____________________

If password security for FreeBSD is all you need and you have no
requirement for copying encrypted passwords from different hosts
(Suns, DEC machines, etc) into FreeBSD password entries, then
FreeBSD's MD5 based security may be all you require!  We feel that our
default security model is more than a match for DES, and without any
messy export issues to deal with.  If you're outside (or even inside)
the U.S., give it a try!  This snapshot also includes support for
mixed password files - either DES or MD5 passwords will be accepted,
making it easier to transition from one scheme to the other.

Now, if you've provided a back door, then you're cool with the feds, but
if you haven't, and you still allow overseas ftp, you could be in deep
sh*t.  I dislike all this nonsense as much as the next guy, but, until
the rules are changed, they're the ones we'll go to prison over.

Hate being a wet blanket,

Troy Smith