Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:37:07 -0800
From:      "Nerius Landys" <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        "David Larkin" <david.larkin@whitburncc.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: formatting disk for FreeBSD : Detecting IDE Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]

> However, when I reboot (without floppies) I still get the message
>  Detecting  IDE  Primary  Master ...  [Press F4 to skip]
>
> and when I go into BIOS , it still doesn't detect  the IDE disk.
>
> How do I format disk so BIOS  recognises it ?

I'm pretty sure this isn't a matter of what bits and bytes are on your hard
disk. (It's not an issue of formatting.)  Someone correct me if I'm wrong
someone.  It seems that the issue is a hardware issue.  For example, try a
different jumper configuration on the back of the physical hard drive.
Also, there are probably two places on the IDE cable where you can plug in
your hard drive.  Try plugging your hard drive to the very end IDE connector
(not the middle one) and try setting the hard drive jumper configuration to
"master".  This might help.  Just an idea.