Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 19:41:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Gregg <pdgregg@ww-interlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free BSD2.2.2 install

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Paul Gregg wrote:

> Trying to install freeBSD2.2.2 on AMD 486 133 system with award bios.
> Have atapi cdrom but using the install from dos partion option. Have two
> ide hard drives Drive 0 is 233 meg drive 1 is 1 gig. I have tried
> various settings in bios for 2nd drive. Setting up without partitions or
> with and various settings in the partition setup in the install
> procedure have pretty much same results. Unable to mount root.

How are the configurations of the IDE controllers?  If your second disk is
on the second controller then that explains your mount problems.  Try
moving it onto your primary controller, then follow these instructions.

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

Hope this helps.