Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:07:56 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum: after kernel panic, incorrect avail shown on drives (long)

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 01:07:55PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday,  6 May 2003 at 21:34:21 -0600, Tillman wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> Yes, I've found and fixed a bug in this area.  I'll MFC it to the
> >> 4-STABLE branch in a few days.
> >
> > Will the new code transparently correct the avail space reported (and
> > whatever issues are behind that) or will I need to backup -> recreate ->
> > restore?
>
> The problem is simply in the in-core calculations of space on the
> drive.  It doesn't affect anything on disk, so stopping and restarting
> Vinum will fix it.  The only potential danger is if you create new
> subdisks on a drive.  It's possible that they might overlap existing
> ones, but I'm not even sure of that.  You can see the drive free list
> with 'vinum ld -v'.  If that's correct, it's not a problem.
>
> Greg

It took over a month, but I finally found an excuse to reboot that box
(caught up on -STABLE), and `vinum ld` does indeed report the correct
free space again.

A belated thanks,

- Tillman

--
Page 38: Be sure that, in the excitement of creating a totally rad
password, you resist the temptation to tell someone just to show off how