Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:07:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        sm4tnp8@gmx.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1R questions O2Micro, ACPI

In message: <18189.1056435510@www36.gmx.net>
            "Markus D." <sm4tnp8@gmx.net> writes:
: APM is deprecated and ACPI seems to work. As far a I read, acpiconf is used
: to make the machine sleep. How can I determine the current power mode and
: battery state? apm still gives information about that, but is that correct?

yes.  there's a sysctl too, but this part of the migration is a little
bumpy.

: When booting, there are "system power profiles" set. How can I set this?

not sure.  my fiva does economy on battery and performance on ac.
there's a speed I can set on my fiva:

hw.acpi.cpu.max_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.current_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.performance_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.economy_speed: 4

I will bump down the economy speed when I'm doing editing and don't
need the performance.

: When pushing the "sleep" button on my box, I get the error
: '
: acpi0: AcpiGetSleepTypeData failed - AE_NOT_FOUND
: '
: Can anybody tell me what this means and what I can do?

that's likely because your sleep mode isn't supported.  look at:
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3

notice how my laptop is setup wrong and should have S3 where it says S1.

: 2.
: Then there is the neverending O2Micro story. I'm using 5.1R GENERIC. Here is
: the part from dmesg:
: cbb0: <O2Micro OZ6812/6872 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x88000000-0x88000fff irq
: 11 at device 3.0 on pci0
: cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
: pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
:
: 2a) Do I still need to run pccardd under 5.1? And what function does
: pccard.conf have?

no.  none.

: 2b) If I insert a card, simply _nothing_ happens. I had a similar behaviour
: with 4.8 when I had no free irq in pccard.conf.

bug me in two weeks about this.  I'd love to talk to you about it.
I'm slammed until then.

warner