Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2017 12:21:20 -0800
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        Jakob Alvermark <jakob@alvermark.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UEFI booting survey

Not really specific to UEFI, but when ZFS is in use the /boot might be
partially or fully located on the drive that does not correspond to your
boot drive. We've bumped into this issue on AWS recently when our kernel
ended up on second drive after upgrade in a pool that were spanning two EBS
volumes. Now, it does not work with AWS (as boot code only has access to
the boot EBS volume apparently), but according to Alan such scenario is
totally supported on a physical hardware. So I am worried that by not
allowing loader to scan all drives in the system you'd make this scenario
fundamentally impossible.

-Max