Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:15:03 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ability for maintainers to update own ports

Sam Lawrance wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Neglecting implementation details, has anybody considered the
> possibility of allowing MAINTAINERs who don't have commit privileges to
> somehow commit updates to ports they maintain?
>
> Where do people see problems lie with such an idea? (Eg. keeping the
> tree sane, controlling access, vetting changes etc)
>
> I feel that a well thought out and implemented system could be highly
> beneficial to everyone, reducing the number of ports PRs and letting
> port updates flow through a little faster.
>
> Pick it to bits, if there are solutions I want to find them :)

You might want to have a look into NetBSD's pkgsrc-wip:

http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net/

See Thomas's announcement to the tech-pkg MailingList for more details:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/03/25/0001.html

It's not exactly what you propose, but a step in the same direction: get more
people involved in the ports system.