Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:05:34 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BSD books (was: What result would *you* like from the merger?)

At 3:17 PM -0800 2000/3/19, Greg Lehey wrote:

>  Any input on what you'd loke to see in the book is welcome.

	Teach me everything I need to know.  ;-)

	Better yet, teach me everything you know.  ;-) ;-)

	Seriously, one thing I'd like to see is some real-world case
studies of sites using BSD to provide high-quality/volume services,
and the sorts of configuration and administration tasks that go into
building a machine like that.

	For example, what all does it take to go from hardware-in-hand
(and what hardware would that be, and more importantly *why*) to
running as ftp.freesoftware.com?  And what kind of administration
tasks are involved in running the machine?

	Or what does it take to set up and administer cvsup.freebsd.org
or ns.sol.net?  ;-)

	In particular, if there were any things that were done to tune
the configuration of the machine, I'd like to see a walk-through of
those steps and why.

	Or, if you can't do real-world case studies like this, then how
about talking to the appropriate people and generalizing this a bit
-- like what do you need to know to properly administer one of the
world's largest anonymous ftp servers, a heavily used cvsup server
(including mirroring the sources, etc...), a heavily used Diablo news
peering server, etc....

	In particular, what are some of the nuances that an admin needs
to know to tune his system for best performance (or perhaps any
performance with that kind of traffic ;-) in these various
environments, and how does BSD compare against other OSes in these
same kinds of environments?

	Or maybe take the case of threading versus shared memory, and
look in depth at how programs like INN, Diablo, and Cyclone are
similar and how they are different in terms of the kinds of stress
that they place on the OS, and what kinds of things could be done to
optimize their performance?