Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:58:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> >I love it when people try to minimize my bandwidth costs by sending short
> >and precise answers...
>
> Sorry, but you asked a "yes or no" question. That left two possible
> answers. ;-)

That reminds me of the Enlish lessons at school. When asked a question by
the teacher, you may not simply respond with "yes" or "no", but you have
to say somthing like "yes, I am" or "no, I'm not". Hmm, wait, I guess this
is off topic - I always tend to let myself get carried away when writing
eMails at 0:48... Now, where were we?

> >Will the masses out there ever use an OS where you have to type
> >something like "find / \! -newer report.tex"?
>
> Where you HAVE to type it? No. Where you CAN type it? Sure.

Hmm, seems sane. Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. The *CAN*
makes the difference. On MS OSes, you can do most (all?) things only by
clicking. Here, on *nix systems, you have the choice if you want to type
or click. That's just fine. It's a form of freedom, and it makes the
system much more flexible.

The stuff I wrote before probably sounded so strange because I always tend
to fear that when someone talks about mass acceptance, the motivation
behind saying that is trying to turn the operating system being talked
about (in this case, FreeBSD) into some Windows clone. I really wouldn't
want that. Just as I wouldn't want a system where I am forced to type, I
wouldn't want a system where I am forced to click either. I want a system
that allows me to do both, and I think I have that system and am using it
right now.

Of course, spreading the word about FreeBSD is good. Taking new user's
feedback into account when it comes to the system design cannot hurt
either, as long as the needs of experienced users are not influenced in a
bad way. Unix systems have long been known for their flexibility, and I
believe that it's that flexibility that destinguishes us from the "king in
the field", and that is our most powerful weapon.

As I have said in a message sent about three minutes ago, it's a bad idea
to sit just hear and argue about "mass acceptance" or banks that block
access to their site (although these discussions tend to be funny
sometimes). It's a better idea to make the public aware of what we have to
offer - only that can boost our popularity.

Enough for today. I hope that I have been able to sort out the things I
have said which lead to a little protest earlier. If not, I'll be back to
reply to your mails after about 8 hours of sleep

-> shutdown -h now

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org