Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:59:41 +0100
From:      Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Brian Somers'" <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   ppp(8) hanging up under heavy load.

Hi everybody,

First, please cc: to my address any reply you sent to -questions.

This problem has been plagueing me for two years, and now I try asking for
some hints.
I have a 486 box, serving dialin connections through 4 USR 28800 modems by
mean of a Stallion EasyIO/8 multiport serial board. The box is running
2.2-STABLE (CVSUP-ed around 2.2.6 Release.)
It consistently drops the line when the link is heavily used for more than a
couple of minutes (typically FTP transfers & SMTP messages larger than some
hundreds KB)

The problem is not solved even with the latest ppp(8) (the one from
RELENG_3), so I think ppp itself is not the primary culprit.

What's most strange, when the link drops, the ppp process (started with
-direct by getty) doesn't log any of the normal 'Phase' messages (connection
statistics, carrier lost and so on.)

For your information, the PC is running routed, and has an ETInc board
driving a 128 Kbps FR link (that gives me no problems). In my ppp.conf I've
setup CHAP authentication, and the local end of the link is being given the
same IP address of the ethernet card, while the remote end gets an address
defined in ppp.secret.

Do you have any tip for what should I do/check to get rid of this problem.
(I'm already planning an HW/OS upgrade of the box)

Angelo Turetta.
RainbowNet - Italy