Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:59:03 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Randall Hopper" <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        "Edwin Groothuis" <edwin@mavetju.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

I don't see this as a flame war because this isn't an opinion type of thing.
Fortunately or unfortunately, due to spammers the standard today in good
Internet networking design is to not accept e-mail from IP numbers that
aren't both
forward and reverse resolvable, with matching hostnames.

>But many other UNIX mail readers simply invoke the local sendmail to
>deliver the message.  This requires DS macro changes or rebuilding
>sendmail.cf, not the type of hacking a newbie user will know about.  That
>was my point.

Your absolutely correct - this bit of information should definitely be in
the FAQ so that newbie users will know about it, and make the DS
macro change if they need to on their network.

In fact I'll e-mail the FreeBSD FAQ maintainer with this because there's
a lot of other situations where this would apply than just subscribing to
the FreeBSD questions mailing list.

> |Your bitch is with RoadRunner, not FreeBSD.
>
>My "bitch" as you put it is not with RoadRunner or FreeBSD (the OS) -- I
>like both quite well, thanks -- but rather with the EHLO hostname rejection
>rule that has been enabled on FreeBSD's list server.

But why?  The FreeBSD listserver isn't doing anything that thousands of
other mailservers on the Internet aren't already doing.

Now, I agree it's a bit of a catch-22 here, because from one point of view
since this isn't answered in the FAQ, a newbie has to get on the questions
mailing list to get an answer - but he has to know the answer to get onto
the questions list in the first place.

But the solution is covering this in the FreeBSD FAQ on the website, not
in disabling the spamfiltering on the FreeBSD list server.

> |instead of complaining to us, why don't you put your complaints to better
> |use and yell at Time Warner to get some competitive ISP's online asap.
>
>Whatever.  Ensuring all IPs every allocated to users have their very-own
>DNS name entry to keep is not an important ISP service.

I'm afraid I don't understand this, are you being sarcastic or what?  In one
sentence you say you have no complaints about RoadRunner, then 2 sentences
later it appears your criticizing them because they don't have DNS lookups
set up for the public IP number you obtain from their service.  Or are you
saying that
they aren't supposed to have resolvable IP numbers?

Look, there's 3 _technical_ solutions to your problem.  First, disable the
listserver spamfiltering.  Second, get a forward and reverse resolvable IP
number.  Third, relay mail through RoadRunners mailserver.

The first solution isn't acceptable to the FreeBSD listserver maintainers.
The second solution isn't acceptable to RoadRunner.  The third solution
isn't
apparently acceptable to you.  Sounds like a case of an irrestible force
meeting an immovable object to me.