Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:57:57 -0600
From:      Porter <ocean@ecenet.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site: ms vs freebsd

I've moved this to -chat because it's no longer a question.  The
discussion is Microsoft's web site versus FreeBSD's web site.  Most people
are attacking with blind pride saying that Microsoft's web site either A)
sucks or B) is better only because of millions of dollars.
    I took a quick glance at microsoft's web site, and it's not too bad.
I was actually thinking that FreeBSD's web site wasn't altogether too good
anyway--no offense intended to those who designed it.  One of the main
arguments for keeping it the way it is is because of internet viewers'
differences, people citing that web sites look like garbage under certain
viewers.  Am I just naive or are the *viewers* bad?
I'm not saying we should all base the internet on how IE or Netscape says
webpages should look, but you have to admit, they are big influences, and
why should we not have web pages with a little flash just because we don't
want to "follow the leader"?
I'm not suggesting we have dancing elephants or flashing text, and I'm no
professional web page developer, but I was thinking of doing a little
modifications to the web site and posting it to see what people think.
Anyone back me up on this?  I find the links on our page "small"  You have
to read the entire page to find information.  That's not what the www is
about.  Look at other sites.  The whole preface of FreeBSD should be
located on a link from the main page.  The left sidebar of how to find
help could use a little spoofing too.  I don't know, like I said I'm no
professional, but from my years of web surfing I can say that our site
doesn't have a lot to make you keep reading.
Thanks for letting me rant,
Michael Porter
ocean@ecenet.com