Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:39:47 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        mike <vipor_1@hotmail.FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello.... help plz

> mike wrote:
>
> hello
>
> first thing is .. i am new to unix 8-) look out ...
>
> will here it goes
>
> i have install freebsd.. "lol that was it after 2 days of playing i
> got it"
>
> install the way i like it..
>
> now i would like to
>
> connect my Win98 box's "3" that are on my lan
>
> to the Internet via FreeBSD
>
> note: the bsd box connection is this....
>
> Ethernet connection
>
> my connection to the internet is cable modem
>
> @home
>

> ps: if u have the time i can set up usr/password for u on my bsd box..
>
> and u can use the
>
> su command and get in to root....
>
> and see what u can do..?
>

> will be looking forward to your reply
>
> i try to do this.. but i could not.. i need help..here this is what i
> use to set it up
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/networking.html#AEN3058
>
> Q: Can I connect my Win95 box to the Internet via FreeBSD?
>
> A: Typically, people who ask this question have two PC's at home, one
> with FreeBSD and one with Win95; the idea is to use the FreeBSD box to
> connect to the Internet and then be able to access the Internet from
> the Windows95 box through the FreeBSD box. This is really just a
> special case of the previous question.
>
> ... and the answer is yes! In FreeBSD 3.x, user-mode ppp contains a
> -nat option. If you run ppp with the -nat, set gateway_enable to YES
> in /etc/rc.conf, and configure your Windows machine correctly, this
> should work fine.
>
> More detailed information about setting this up can be found in the
> Pedantic PPP Primer by Steve Sims.
>
> If you are using kernel-mode ppp, or have an Ethernet connection to
> the Internet, you will have to use natd. Please look at the natd
> section of this FAQ.
>

> this is what i try to set up.. but i could not get it to work.....
>
> 8-(
>
> Q: Does FreeBSD support NAT or Masquerading
>
> A: If you have a local subnet (one or more local machines), but have
> been allocated only a single IP number from your Internet provider (or
> even if you receive a dynamic IP number), you may want to look at the
> natd program. Natd allows you to connect an entire subnet to the
> internet using only a single IP number.
>
> The ppp program has similar functionality built in via the -nat
> switch. The alias library is used in both cases.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd

You will need to use NAT, and IPFW to do this over ethernet, the setup
is really quite easy, you'll just need to modify /etc/rc.firewall to
meet your requirements, and create a simple config file for NATD. There
is an excelent tutorial for doing so up at http://www.defcon1.org/ . You
will also need to compile a new kernel with the options for IPFW to
divert packets. Feel free to email me back if you would like some sample
config files?

--

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com