Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:59:45 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd@grem.de
Cc:        bapt@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org, ml@netfence.it, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postponing the switch to TeXLive

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jul_25_09_59_45_2014_642)--

Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote
  in <D01D7E6A-C576-4DD8-9068-FD4D2F0E4CCD@grem.de>:

fr>
fr> > On 24 Jul 2014, at 20:38, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
fr> >
fr> >> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 02:05:35PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
fr> >> Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> writes:
fr> >>
fr> >>> I've read in /usr/ports/UPDATING that TeXLive is now the default.
fr> >>> Since I've no time to test it now, I'd like to stay with TeTeX for a
fr> >>> further litte while.
fr> >>>
fr> >>> So I put "TEX_DEFAULT=tetex" in /etc/make.conf; however this does not
fr> >>> seem to work: "portupgrade -R teTeX" tries (and obviously fail) to
fr> >>> convert everything to TeXLive.
fr> >>>
fr> >>> Is it possible to avoid this for now?
fr> >>
fr> >> Based on 20 seconds of searching /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.tex.mk, I think you
fr> >> just need to capitalize 'tetex'.
fr> >> _______________________________________________
fr> >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
fr> >> "freebsd-ports-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
fr> >
fr> > No teTeX has been totally removed, as it it was not happily living
fr> > along with
fr> > TeXlive (leading to too many conflicts and complexity)
fr> >
fr> > regards,
fr> > Bapt
fr>
fr> I'm using TeX quite extensively for business reasons as well as
fr> private purposes. Are there any known pitfalls when migrating from
fr> teTeX to TeXlive?

 Basically it is backward compatible with teTeX but some of features
 in texconfig and tlmgr do not work.  For example, "texconfig paper"
 no longer works well to configure the default paper size because most
 of dviware use libpaper now.  Currently tlmgr does not work mainly
 because of conflict with FreeBSD ports/package framework.

 TeX engines are changed (etex is deprecated, for example) and TeX
 macros in TeXLive distribution are newer than teTeX, so there are
 some incompatibilities.  Please report if you have a specific problem
 after upgrading.

-- Hiroki