Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:51:01 -0400
From:      Greg Larkin <glarkin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        david@vizion2000.net
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libical config error Cannot find Python.h

david@vizion2000.net wrote:
> On a freebsd 7.2-RELEASE-p3  amd64 compiled August 20 12.54.34 BST
>
> Python.h is in
> /usr/local/include/python2.6/
>
> devel/libical build fails during configure:
>
> checking for swig... (cached) true
> checking for python2.6/Python.h usability... no
> checking python2.6/Python.h presence... no
> checking for python2.6/Python.h... no
> configure: error: Can't find python header files
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>
> In the libical/work/libical-0.43/config.log
> The following lines appear to be significant
>
> "In file included from conftest.c:81:
> /usr/local/include/python2.6/Python.h:168:17: error: pth.h: No such file or
> directory
> configure:21819: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */
> ..
> ..
> configure:21842: result: no
> configure:21846: checking python2.6/Python.h presence
> .
> .
> .
> configure:21882: result: no
> configure:21917: checking for python2.6/Python.h
> configure:21924: result: no
> configure:21931: error: Cant find python header files
>
> ___________________
>
> pth.h is in
>
> /usr/local/include/pth/pth.h
>
> Solving this is urgent for me as a number of ports I need are dependent upon
> this one. I have just completed an upgrade to p3 and am also upgrading all
> the ports.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> David

Hi David,

It appears that you have GNU Pth enabled in your python 2.6 build.  Is
that required for your site?  If not, I would try disabling it,
rebuilding python and then rebuilding libical.

If you do need GNU Pth in your python build, you can get past the
libical configuration phase with this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~glarkin/diffs/libical-Python_h-fix.diff

However, the compilation still fails in icalmemory.c due to conflicting
definitions for the pthread functions.  I haven't figured that one out,
and I've cc'd the port maintainer team in case any of them have any ideas.

Regards,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin