Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:09:32 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkump@postnet.com
Subject:   Re: Buslogic BT-950 Fast Scsi Wide Controller

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 04:45:43AM -0600, Jon E. Kump wrote:

> When will The Buslogic BT-950 (aka Flashpoint LW) card be supported under FreeBS
> D.  I just bought one and hoped that the bt0 code would be able to see it.  But
> it could not so I then went to the hardware FAQ and it wasnt there.  These are v
> ery nice controllers and was just wondering if they were going to be supported s
> oon.

i purchased one of those two years or more ago and discovered that freebsd and
linux did not support this built for ms windows scsi host adapter.

thier was a bit of a 'stink' in the linux camp and buslogic issued a rebate
for all the people who purchased one of those (thier are 2 or 3 in the series)
ms windows specific cards .. the scsi stuff is handled by a ms supplied dll
module and buslogic is/was not going to give out the code to build a driver
aby time soon .. so i was told by buslogic tech support.

if it is any consolation i upgrade/downgrade (depends on where on sits i
suppose) to a buslogic bt-958 a ultra/wide scsi, but this one has teh
processor as a silicon derived chip, not a ms windows dll .. grin.

i was also told that they were going to put a note in teh documentation that
this series of cards are not supported by linux .. this would at least give
the other peoples a hint that it was not a good card to buy.

things could have changed in teh last two years .. but then they may not have.

sorry for the potentially 'bad news', but it is increasingly becoming a buyer
be aware market place.

take care, cheers

jonathan, no longer a buslogic/mylex/bustek supporter