Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 02:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        dr@dursec.com, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, djb@ifa.au.dk, smp@csn.net, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

[Moved to -chat, left others on thread in cc's, they may want to
drop out though.. also I am not on chat, so I'll loose the thread
if someone chops the cc's]

> As I recall, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Right along with the chain breaking/hammer bank smoking code for the
> > 1403 printers....  basically a very specific sequence of lines with
> > very special character sequences could cause 1/3 of the hammer bank to
> > fire every 14uS or so, do that for more than 10 cycles or so and you
> > could litterly break the print character chain.  De-optimize it for
> > chain breaking and run it for 10 minutes and you would start smoking
> > the hammer coils....
>
> Ah, yes.  I had one that would play "The Iowa Fight Song" (I was
> working for Collins Radio in Cedar Rapids at the time--circa 1969).
>
> Worked best with a single sheet of paper, and the paper thickness
> set for 6-part forms (very rattley).   And the feed clutch
> open, so you could use "line feed" as a drum-beat.  We had a printer
> controller (built by Collins, the 8401 I believe) that would allow
> you to gang printers, in case you needed more than 6 copies.  Get
> five or six printers going and you could hear the song all over the
> building.  I seem to remember one of my cow-workers wrote "On
> Wisconsin" as well.

Thats a new one on me!  Or at least the use of a printer to make ``computer
music''.  We use to do that with PDP-8's and an AM radio, you did diffent
pitches by loop length and device type.  I've heard bach done on a pdp-8,
pretty impresive for a 100kHz computer :-O.

> But shattering the chain was pretty spectacular.  You'd want to be sure
> the covers were down or someone could get hurt.  The IBM CEs loved us.

Yea, them little slugs go every which way.

> Sometime I should tell you about making the Bryant disk drives walk
> across the floor...

Easy.. done that with lots of disk drives... ever see a 5MB RK05 rack
mount unit pop itself out of the cabnet... I was lazy and those things
where heavy!  Just unlatch it then run this...

	n=#cylinders
	while true do;
		seek 0;
		for 1 to n seek n;
	done ;

And when your done with the head alignment and don't feel like shoving
it back in by hand run this...
	n=#cylinders
	while true do;
		seek n
		for n to 1 seek n;
	done ;

Or was that the other way around....   any way most drives can be
made to move considerable distances with this type of code, even
a modern IDE drive on sitting on a piece of glass or other low
friction surface can be made to move this way.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net