Date:      11 Feb 2001 03:29:46 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.org>
To:        Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending mail from unnamed system

Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com> writes:

> I'd like to use sendmail to send out some email.  My FreeBSD box is on my local network behind a gateway machine
> that's connected to a cable modem.  When I send out email it bounces because the recipient can't do a reverse-DNS
> lookup on my system.
>

> Are there any ways around this?

Either point to your ISP's mail server as your SMART_HOST (DS in
sendmail.cf) or have the freebsd box announce itself with a valid
hostname that you have a right to use (Dj in sendmail.cf).

Using a SMART_HOST is the recommended way, there's a commented out
example in src/etc/sendmail, but leaves you at the mercy of your ISP.
Mine provided an unqualified hostname, 'mail', which was resolvable
only through their local DNS and kept changing the real machine it
pointed to.

For the second option, you pretty much have to own a domain and have
it hosted by someone who provides an A record.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.