Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:00:04 -0700
From:      "Alex Davidson" <alexd@idcomm.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Gateway Question

I posted a question about trying to get Bind to work but maybe this is a more
appropriate approach...

My FreeBSD box is connected to an Ethernet LAN using TCP/IP and is assigned a
fixed IP address of 192.168.0.254.  I have an NT 4 Server box on the LAN with MS
Proxy and a permanent internet connection.

If I start KDE on BSD and run the file manager-type window and use it as a  web
browser, setting the proxy settings to the NT Server's IP and port I can get on
the web and do whatever I want.  However, because my FreeBSD box has no modem
and there seems to be a problem accessing the internal LAN FTP site I used to
install FreeBSD (can't find various packages when I try and add them through
/stand/sysinstall) I wanted to just go straight to the source (ftp.freebsd.org)
and install my packages from there.

When I tell the package install to connect to an ftp site through a firewall and
set the LAN config, it can't get out successfully.  I am setting the Gateway and
DNS to my NT box's IP of 192.168.0.1.

I am still learning here so maybe these files would help...

host.conf file:
bind
conf

hosts file:
127.0.0.1            localhost.SMI-DENVER localhost
192.168.0.254    a.b.c a
192.168.0.254    a.b.c

resolv.conf file:
domain    SMI-DENVER