Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:50:19 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <duiker@haggis.nl>
To:        "BSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org>
Subject:   BSD on Tecra 8100 w/Docking Station

Greetings everyone!!
I'd very much like to install FreeBSD on the above laptop. However,
there is a problem in that it sits full time on a Toshiba Docking
Station...in which  sits the NIC. Although ('natch) there are PCMCIA
slots, I've never bought a card, owing to the existence of the dock. I
concede that may have been a mistake in hindsight, but now I have to
(try and) work with what I've got.

W2K recognizes the docking station NIC with nary a murmur and always
has. BUT since buying this machine I have *never* got any Linux install
to recognize the dock network card. I'm determined to install *a* 'nix
on this machine, yet this seems to be *the* stumbling block no matter
what. I've tried FreeBSD on a friend's machine and believe I just may be
hooked! :-)

I went on an orgy of reading to see if anyone solved this. To date I've
read a whole lot of; "try this, it might work" ("it" didn't in every
case!) and despite many weeks of trolling around I'm as stumped as when
I began.

Can anyone offer a definitive answer to this - *the* most important
question of all?? I'd truly appreciate a solution to the
issue.....somewhere, somehow.=20

Regards & TIA,
-Colin
--