Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:05:31 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

--=-x730y7oFoCNvm0j+hSsR

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 09:37 -0200, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Saturday 11 October 2008 13:26:29 Adam McDougall wrote:
> > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> > > Thank you -- this is the exact information I was looking for.
> > >
> > > I will update my Wiki page to reflect this quite major problem.
> >
> > I am using some LSI (mpt driver) ultra4 (U320 scsi) and LSI SAS
> > controllers in FreeBSD 7.x amd64 with 20G of ram, and Adaptec (aac
> > driver) with a 5th generation RAID card with 8G of ram, both have no
> > such corruption problems.  Providing this as a counter-example just to
> > document some evidence of which products seem to work fine.
>=20
>=20
> well this for sure is NOT a AM2 MB but any server MB which indeed run fin=
e as=20
> Tyans, SMs and others I guess
>=20

It sounds like your issue is specific to certain motherboards and BIOS,
which would be non driver specific. Unless this is something that can be
worked around, I think the 'solution' is that with this hardware, you
are limited to 3.5 GB RAM.=20

Perhaps different SoHo boards would provide different behaviour...

Cheers

Tom

--=-x730y7oFoCNvm0j+hSsR

--=-x730y7oFoCNvm0j+hSsR--