Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:08:26 -0500
From:      Damon Butler <damon@hddesign.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sound issues on dual-boot machine

I have a dual-boot FreeBSD/Linux machine. I've had lots of trouble
getting sound to work under FreeBSD: sometimes it would, and sometimes
it wouldn't, and I could never figure out why. But today I noticed a
pattern, and with it, a way to always get sound functioning under
FreeBSD. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Here 'tis:

Sound functions under FreeBSD only if I boot into Linux first and then
reboot the machine into FreeBSD. This sounds rather incredible (to me at
least) but here's what I've done to confirm this.

(1) Machine is completely off. Boot directly into FreeBSD. Sound doesn't
work.

(2) Machine is completely off. Boot directly into Linux. Reboot the
machine into FreeBSD. Sound works just fine.

(3) Machine is completely off. Boot directly into FreeBSD. Sound doesn't
work. Reboot machine into Linux. Reboot machine into FreeBSD. Sound
works just fine.

In no case am I adjusting configuration settings at any time. I'm just
rebooting the machine and testing out XMMS and mplayer to see whether or
not sound is functioning. Even the most half-baked theories explaining
this behavior would be welcome.

The machine: Custom-built PC based on Soyo K7ADA motherboard (ALiMAGiK1
1647/1535D+ chipsets), on-board sound (AC97 codec), 1.4 GHz Athlon CPU,
512 Mb DDR RAM, etc. etc. I've got one hard drive devoted to Mandrake
Linux and a second hard drive devoted to FreeBSD. I use LILO off of the
Linux drive to choose which OS I boot into.

Thanks,
--Damon