Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:56:15 +0200
From:      Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
To:        Freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   No progress with Compaq Armada w/TI-1225: No PC-CARD Slots (4.2R)

Hello

I am following my own thread since I am not sure whether my earlier
post made it to the list or not. I didn't get a single comment. Sorry
about the length but many answers in the archive complain about the
lack of evidence.

I have built several kernels since that post but learned little new.
However, when I try to use the pcic device in polling mode (irq 0),
the kernel disables that device at boot and creates a new one
(pcicN+1) with irq 10. I have even tried to fiddle with the boot
environment with "set machdep.pccard.pcic_irq=0" with the same
results.

In short my questions are:

1: Is the "pcic-pci0 irq 11" versus "pcic0 irq 10" a problem? How do
I change the pcic-pci0 since I can't change the pcic0?

2: Are there any docs for "device pccard" or PC-card support in
general? The "device card" in GENERIC and LINT didn't work at all (no
pcicN's or pccardN's). I couldn't link the NEWCARD stuff since some
sources were missing. I don't know the differences between these and
how the choice might affect something else. However, I would settle
for anything that works.

3: Should I have devices pcicN or pccardN in /dev? I have only
card0-3. MAKEDEV doesn't recognize any of the pcxxxxx devices
reported during boot.

4. Am I asking something obvious, stupid or impossible?

I don't even know what the problem is. The machine boots fine and
detects everything I am aware of. When I remove or insert the card I
get reasonable messages without any error indications. But pccardd
won't run since I don't have any slots! Does pccardd depend on device
card? Should I do something to make it work with device pccard?

The sad thing is that this used to work in 3.4 with "controller card"
without a hitch.

Could someone please give me something to work on? I am running out of ideas.

I have upgraded http://www.metis.fi/dmesg.txt with the dmesg of a
verbose boot. Sorry about that. The kernel config at
http://www.metis.fi/armada.txt matches that latest trial.

TIA
Petri

--