Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:29:31 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        Mark Woodson <mwoodson@wloq.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vectra XU 6/xxx

y3k@gti.net said (in response to mwoodson@wloq.com):
> I used to have a link to an article on dejanews that mentioned boot
> problems with freebsd and vectra's. unfortunately, that link doesnt
> work anymore and i dont remember what the fix was. It had something to
> do with the bios not working with the bootloader. Wish I could help
> more. I know others have had a similar problem and the answer is out
> there somewhere.

I wish I could offer something helpful, but I haven't seen this problem
even though I've installed on two sets of Vectras...  Of course, neither
is the particular model in question here.

I think last time I made the disks "dangerously dedicated" and this time
I didn't.  Both times I installed the FreeBSD boot manager, though if
you do "dangerously dedicated" I think the standard boot manager should
work as well.

I did "tune" the BIOS a bit, but nothing that really affects booting...

I remember having a similar problem on a Compaq many years ago with BSDI
and it was the choice of boot manager, so you could try using "the other
one" than the one you've tried so far (or have you tried both?).

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319