Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2014 12:27:41 -0800
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports changing permissions on directories

On Dec 8, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:
> On 12/08/14 21:04, Charles Swiger wrote:
>>> Since I always need to "chmod 775 /var/db/clamav" after an upgrade, =
I'm asking:
>>> _ where does this come from? I tried to look into Makefile, but =
didn't get to it;
>>=20
>> Is the umask setup in your shell 022 or 002?
>=20
> If I run "umask" as root, I get 22, if that's what you mean.

Yes.  (Assuming you install ports as root, which is likely.)

> However, I'm puzzled about how this should affect directories which =
already exist.

It wouldn't affect already existing directories.  But installing a new =
port or upgrading
an existing port might likely recreate the files and directory trees =
setup for that port
and thus inherit the effects of the umask, except for anything which BSD =
install is being
invoked with an explicit -m argument.

> Is there some official doc on the interaction between umask and the =
port system?

I didn't see anything in the Porter's Handbook.

Regards,
--=20
-Chuck