Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring FreeBSD 6.2 to use sendmail for sending only

I have a file server running FreeBSD 6.2 with software
RAID1 and a Samba share running on a workgroup-based
LAN with a dedicated router/firewall.

I wrote a shell script that backs up the file server.
I would like to modify this script to email a
notification message to a public email address.

Seems like sendmail should do the job nicely, but I've
never set it up before.

What specific steps (including network-specific) need
to be performed to get sendmail working for outgoing
mail only in a secure manner?

Also, any example shell scripts to use as a starting
point would be appreciated. Thanks!

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?