Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:31:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Gary Roberts <wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Please go back and read the mailing list archives for the meat of the
> last N times this has come up.  Searching for 'smbfs' is probably a
> good place to start.  Look particularly for Terry's detailed rants on
> the topic.

To quote from the motd on freefall:

  sd3 passed away at 7:05AM PST.  RIP.  A replacement drive will be
  ordered ASAP.  Lots of stuff has died with it, expect chaos for a
  while.

The mailing list archives are among the dead.  :(
I just hope some backups exist.

> The linux smbfs is, in the tradition of Linux, a festering hack, and
> this isn't exclusively the fault of the implementors.

Alas, if you rate software on two scales: elegantly engineered
solution to festering hack, and useless to useful, I'd hazzard a
guess that if there is any correlation, it would be positive
(associate the festering hacks with higher utility).

Non-programmers don't care *how* the programmer implements
something, so long as it works most of the time.  Evidence?
Microsoft products.  I rest my case.

-john