Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:39:05 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
Cc:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Traceroutes to Cisco Routers

--==_Exmh_-389640468P

If memory serves me right, Jeremy Shaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Joe "Marcus" Clarke wrote:

> > Cisco throttles ICMP unreachables so that only 2 unreachables per second
> > are sent.  The result puts a star in one of the fields:
> >
> > i.e. (200 ms) (200 ms) *

Whew, I guessed right!  :-)

> Fair enough.  But it's dropping the second and not the third.
>
> And it doesn't explain why non-Unix OS's trace to it fine.

I can't speak for MacOS, but the Win95 tracert command uses ICMP echo requests
(just confirmed via tcpdump), while all of the UNIX traceroute programs use
UDP packets to arbitrary, high-numbered UDP ports.  Presumably the Cisco IOS
doesn't rate-limit ICMP echo replies in the same way that it does ICMP echo
requests.

(In an earlier message, you asked if the UNIX traceroutes all shared a common
code base, and AFAIK the answer is "yes".)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-389640468P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNdN5GKjOOi0j7CY9AQEi3QP+Nxz0EbzC3njFyVrJRu4D9tPN5+iv2OcN
Oi+ixqBh95JJl+eo5Vz7lEF3fpMg+E6DoYT2/Pv7seqsBRmHl627elOOuBUk/T+C
+zy2fZUGQE/QPlCgGOCqEJnLlMhJeVTEGxHS+0z3mTT2Zc2TDo6R2L1P5pHpyHam
WJxJAqSn8fA=
=ZYzq
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-389640468P--