Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:42:14 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice for diagnosing X hangs / kernel hangs?

At 13:42 02.04.98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

that
>> >Odd.
>>
>> Are you running a SCSI-system with many devices on the SCSI-bus ?
>
>Yes.  I have 2 connected SCSI cards (AHA2940UW and BT948), 1 with 4
>devices (2 HD, tape drive, CDROM), 1 with 1 device (scanner).
>
>Does this shed any light on things?

Maybe ... i encounter similar problems where my machine suddenly freezes
(no log, no error, no nothing ... just sudden-death).
I noticed it must be something with the scsi-system (while listening to
the old good 'Ludwig van' ;)
I changed the terminating device from CDROM to the tape-drive (SONY SDT-7000).
Then this freezes did not happen as often as they did when the CDROM was
terminating my scsi-bus.
I suspect TERM-POWER is causing this trouble but i am not sure.
I have played with the term-power config a little:
1. no term-power (same as no active terminator) [bad idea]
2. term-power connected just to the terminator, not the scsi-bus [good idea]
3. term-power connected to the terminator AND the scsi-bus [not so good]
Best results gave nr. 2. so far (waiting for the next freeze with this
config).
My freezes always occur on heavy concurrent diskaccess.
My scsi-system: controller, 3 scsi-disks, cdrom, tape, zip.
It is not an OS-specific problem since this shit also happens with Win-95.
On the next freeze i will take a disk as terminating device.
If this will not solve my problems, i will order a new scsi-controller and
forget about my adaptec-2940.

Maybe you want to play with your scsi-bus-termination. Let me know about
your results.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com