Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:22:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Bryan Seitz <phiber@udel.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Celeron and Celeron ( Mendocino ) kernel patch.

<<On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:12:20 -0500 (EST), Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu> said:

> Well, they are the same in that respect, but the Pentium II has cache in
> the same package, and most Pentium II's aren't overclockable. The celeron
> is.

That's OK -- we don't support overclocking anyway.

The Celeron does have a cache in the package, BTW.  The cache in the
Celeron is this tiny little thing that is actually capable of running
at clock rates of 250 MHz or higher; the actual CPU is a perfectly
ordinary Pentium-II core of the sort that would be labeled as ``450
MHz'' when coupled with a more expensive cache.  (According to my
friend who does VLSI design.)  The Celeron chips are intentionally
down-rated by Intel marketing to keep them from cannibalizing the
high-end market.  (Remember when upgrading to a faster line printer
meant that a SE would change a single belt?)

I think we should stick to identifying the core.

-GAWollman