Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:04:31 -0800
From:      john hess <jhess@berkeley.edu>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fujitsu-siemens lifebook p7010

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> At 14.53 13/01/2005, you wrote:
>  >On Thursday 13 January 2005 03:05 am, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
>  >> Hi,
>  >> Is there anyone that has some feedback on this laptop ?
>  >>
>  >> I'd like to buy onw but I could'nt find any info on the web nor on
> the on
>  >> the Fbsd laptop survey:
>  >> http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/index.pl
>  >>
>  >> The s6120 has some problem with 5.x and the s7010 hungs on freesbie
> 1.1 :-)
>  >> so before buying I'd like to know something more if possible ...
>  >>
>  >> Thanks ...
>  >>
>  >If freesbie is hanging on boot, then it is probably because just like
> my P2110
>  >the DMA doesn't work right on the CD drive and you need to disable DMA
> for
>  >the CD drive.  "set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0" at the loader prompt.  You
> might want
>  >to check here if you haven't already.
>  >http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=8
>
> Thanks fro your answer and sorry for my double post. I wrongly resend
> the message twice :-)
>
> Btw the problem was a little different. It hangs on pcmcia card too, i.e
>
> Then I presume it has also the iussue with X screen at 1280x768 (but I
> don't arrive to the X step).
> If it is like the little vaio that continues to stay at 1024x768 with
> two black bar on the sides ...
>
> Thanks again for you answer

Bona sera!

(purtroppo, that pretty much exhausted what remains of my one semester
of italiano)

i've had a fujitsu p7010d for about a month, and i like it quite well.
i waited long enough to acquire the version which ships with the
'dothan' 90nm process pm 733 ulv processor, and the 'super multi'
dvd+-rw modular drive (UJ822).  this configuration was only recently
made readily available to those of us in the US.

as you likely know the 'd' suffix indicates the unit ships with the
integrated atheros wireless, as opposed to the full-on intel centrino
branded unit with intel wireless chipset.  in my case i had the standard
40G disk swapped out for the 60G/7200rpm hitachi 7k60, as well as the
256M mDIMM for a 1G unit. i've been using grub to multi-boot fedora fc3
with kernel 2.6.9-1.741_FC3 (to run vmware v4.5), freebsd 5.3-stable,
and xppro sp2.

if you are considering the p7010d, i would strongly echo the earlier
post/suggestion to point your browser at the p7000 forum at leog.net.
the discussion threads within the forum convinced me to buy this
particular unit -- this is my first fujitsu notebook.  at the time, i
had been considering the sony vaio S170, the dell 700m, and one or two
others more like the p7010d (as falling within the ultra-portable category).

boot issues:
none.  i've not encountered any boot-time issues with fbsd 5.3-stable on
this unit, with standard or with non-standard bios settings (in my setup
DMA is enabled on the dvd drive).

1280x768 under X windows:
it works. read this topic:
	http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5371
in my experience, with none of the OS personalities i've tried does the
display at 1024x768 have the black bars on the sides.

atheros wireless:
the only issue bothering me is that i still have some wrinkles to iron
out with atheros madwifi driver under linux (fedora) and fbsd.  the
atheros works like a champ when i boot off the knoppix v3.7 liveCD
and/or xppro.

hope that helps.  let me know if you've other questions

ciao,

john

john hess <jhess@berkeley.edu>
nocman