Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:51:48 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
Cc:        Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev] Re: metadata update durability ordering/soft updates

Hans Reiser wrote:
> >that I hold this opinion; I have posted consistently on it
> >
> you mean, you told everyone but me, the author/inventor of preserve lists.

You never came to the FreeBSD-FS list and suggested that FreeBSD
use it as the default FS type.  If you had, I would have posted
both about the license issue with the GPL vs. using it as a root
filesystem, and the patent issue, directly to you.

Just because someone posts something somewhere you don't
read doesn't make it "behind your back".

> We would charge for any FreeBSD port, and the license would be a
> limiting (proprietary or GPL) license.  There are probably appliance
> vendors and the like who would find this of interest.

Sure.  If the IBM GSB Division were still around, I would be
lobbying for them to pay you for a port (IBM has a license
to use the patents, so it's not an issue).

And just so you know what I've said before, so that it's not
"behind your back" from not bothering to read those forums:

I suspect that the purpose of the use of the GPL is to
encourage proprietary licensing (that's fine; many people
use that revenue model), and though going to the LGPL would
preserve your right to any changes to the code, it would
likely reduce the incentive to license the code under other
terms.

Right now, a proprietary license without an application makes
it uninteresting to me, and a GPL license preventing FreeBSD
from using it as a boot FS on a CDROM distribution also makes
it uninteresting to me.

If you ever want to change the license to LGPL, so it's
possible to distribute a FreeBSD with ReiserFS as the boot FS
so that it's not at a license disadvantage compared to Linux,
and either indeminfy people against patent claims in your
license, or get a statement from Caldera about the Novell
DOW patents, I would be first in line to do the FreeBSD port
for you.  Unfortunately, as a U.S. citizen, I can't do a
port without the indemnification.

At some point in the future, if I had an application that
needed its features, and rights to a patent license at the
same time (or proof it wasn't necessary), I'd certainly
consider a commercial license for use with that application.

-- Terry